Earlier this year, during the Troop Iron Chef Challenge, the Mystery Patrol’s Korean beef recipe floored our resident judge, Mr. Stephen Schwandt. He, in addition to Mr. Tuite, has requested that the recipe for the Korean beef be uploaded on the website.
Here it is, in all its zesty glory!
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and ginger.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture and green onions until well combined, allowing to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onion and sesame seeds, if desired.
This meal can be easily made in 15 minutes or less, and served on rice or whatever you desire, making this a versatile and simple recipe that also tastes delicious. Not only that, it’s pretty healthy. Sounds like a good meal for a scout! ⚜